U Visa Applications

  • Jun 6 2018

U visas are granted to immigrants who have been the victims of a serious crime. Created in 2000, the visa was designed to encourage immigrant crime victims to come forward and cooperate with law enforcement officials so that the crime could be solved and the perpetrators brought to justice. A U visa allows the person to legally live in the U.S. for up to 4 years. This may even be extended by a court under special circumstances. If a person holds a U visa for 3 years, they may apply for a green card and become a legal U.S. resident.

The U visa process can be a lengthy and filled with specific requirements that must be fulfilled before it can be granted. Additionally, the ever-growing wait list is already long. Because of this, U visa applicants are granted temporary status so that they may wait in the U.S. instead of their country of origin.

How Long Does the U Visa Application Process Take?

Before your U visa application is even processed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you must first gather all necessary documentation and make sure your application is complete. This can take time. You have to send in Form I-918, Application for U Nonimmigrant Status and all required evidence that will support your application. Examples of some supporting evidence include:

  • A victim’s statement. This will describe how you were victimized by criminal activity and the specific circumstances surrounding the criminal activity.
  • Police reports. Police reports and other official reports relating to the criminal activity must also be submitted.
  • Medical records. Evidence that you suffered physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime must also be provided with your application.

Helping Crime Victims Establish Legal U.S. Residency

If you are an immigrant that has been a victim of a crime, you may be hesitant to come forward. Know that there are protections for you in place such as the U visa. Contact Talamantes Immigration Law Firm, APC, in Chula Vista today and let us help you through the entire U visa process.

Posted in: Immigration Law