The Talamantes Immigration Law Firm, APC, feels strongly about making sure their clients get the help they need. One of the priorities for this firm is to help clients who have been the victim of crimes. Laura Talamantes’ main objective is to keep you safe and provide you with the solutions you need.

Our founding attorney, Laura Talamantes, has helped many individuals and families who are struggling with their current situation. Laura Talamantes wants you to feel protected and comforted during this critical time in your life. This firm is committed to working diligently to take advantage of all opportunities to keep you in the country. Options such as U visa or a petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) are few of the opportunities available to you.

This firm has dealt with victims of many different crimes and knows how sensitive these issues can be. This firm understands this process is difficult and with compassion and patience will help you navigate through the process.

Understanding U Visa Requests

U visas are available to individuals who have been the victim of certain crimes, have information about a crime that is valuable to the prosecution and/or investigation, have suffered mental or physical abuse, and those who have been the victims of domestic violence. These visas allow individuals, and in some cases, their families, to remain in the United States to prevent future harm. U visas may qualify an individual for lawful permanent residence after being in lawful U non-immigrant status for three years.

Laura Talamantes has many years assisting victims of crime and domestic violence. If you have ever been a victim of a crime, and have a police report, give this office a call for a consultation to speak to an attorney. The attorney can analyze your case to see if you would potentially qualify for a U visa.

Violence against Women Act (VAWA)

VAWA provides spouses, children and potentially certain parents the opportunity to file for a way to eventually obtain a residency card if abuse is present in their relationship and if the abuser is a United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident. The abused victim must be married or have recently been married to the United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident. Many undocumented immigrants are stuck in relationships where their partners threaten to report them to authorities if they make the abuse known. It is important to understand that abuse is not only physical. Abuse is also mental or emotional.

Those who are trapped in abusive relationships need to know that VAWA offers protection to undocumented immigrants who are married, or recently were married, to a United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident. If you are in an abusive relationship, reach out to us as soon as possible. We can immediately begin filing the paperwork necessary to help you remain in the country. This is something that can be done without your spouse knowing that you are applying for an immigration benefit.

How We Can Help

We understand the difficult circumstances that accompany these claims. It is our goal to guide you through this process as painlessly as possible. We want you to be able to obtain the relief that you need to help you and your family achieve your goals.

These cases present several unique challenges, and it is important that you reach out to us as soon as possible to discuss all of your options. The sooner we can take action, the more protections that may be in place for you.

Schedule a Consultation

We devote a large portion of our practice to U visa and VAWA cases because we understand the traumatic effect that these situations can have upon families. To learn more about all of the options available to you, please call our Chula Vista office at 619-821-9071 or send us an email. You will be able to speak directly to our lawyer to ask any questions that you have about your case. We assist clients throughout Southern California and the United States.